I don't think Trump will be impeached, especially not with this House and Senate (spare me the illusion that the Republicans will choose country over party). Resignation could be a possibility, but I'm not sure Trump's ego will allow him to do that.
Either way, I don't share in the joy of my fellow liberals in regards to the possibilities of him leaving office mid-term.
Why? Well, the following list of men and women who are in line to succeed the President don't really line up with my progressive beliefs either. You could even argue that some of them would be more dangerous to my progressive desires because some are career politicians and are more adept at passing legislation that they want.
- Vice President Mike Pence
- Speaker of the House Paul Ryan
- Senate President Pro Tempore Orrin Hatch
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson
- Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin
- Secretary of Defense James Mattis
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions
- Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke
- Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue
- Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross
- Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta
- Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson
- Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao
- Secretary of Energy Rick Perry
- Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin
- Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly
So, now that I've thoroughly depressed you with the fact that the list of people in line for the presidency contains gay conversion therapy proponents, oil barrons, movie producers, perjurors, heads of banks that do shady things with Russian money, Rick Perry and Betsy DeVos, let me talk to you about something fun. Something that is fantasy, but is still fun.
See that #2 spot up there, Speaker of the House?
The Speaker of the House is picked by the House majority. If the Democrats were to retake the house in the 2018 mid terms, they get to pick the Speaker.
Fun Fact: Did you know the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be an elected congressman? Look it up, it has never happened before, but the Constitution allows it.
Speaker of the House, Hillary Clinton.
If Trump and Pence were to vacate office either by impeachment or to avoid the embarrassment of impeachment hearings (think Nixon, think open hearings about pee-pee tapes) then guess who is next in line?
Please welcome the 46th president of these United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Not going to happen, but fun to think about nonetheless.